Friday, November 23, 2012


While waiting for new parts to come in, I went ahead and started to tear down the Triumph.  Went over all chrome parts with a wire brush in my Dremel tool, bleached and cleaned the white brake and shift cable housings, dripped oil into the brake and shift cable housing and lubed up.  De-greased and washed up the frame.  The bike was missing the rear reflector, but I had a extra laying around from a parts bike.  Tires and tubes should be here on Tuesday.  Shift fulcrum and pulley tomorrow.  The plastic fulcrum was very brittle and broke into many small pieces.  This is why I like to get the steel fulcrum and pulley and replace them.  Plastic parts after 40+ years just can not be trusted. Aslo got a black brass bell coming.

Tear Down

Replacement Reflector

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gents Triumph

Picked up a 71 Triumph this evening. In pretty decent shape.  Missing the rear reflector on the fender and a rear brake pad (how did that get lost???).  Will be minimal clean up, no heavy deposits.  Will also re-lube everything.  Will get some salmon Kool Stop pads for it.  Later on, the usual stuff: bell, lights, saddle bag, new steel fulcrum and pulley.  Tires are in ok shape, but thinking on some white walls instead of gum walls this time.  Has a Minnesota sticker on it.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Raleigh Sports - Done

Well, I sanded the rack, painted it and placed on the bike, so she is officially complete.  Owner coming tomorrow to pick her up.  Was a fun project, going to miss her!  For those interested, all photos from the rebuild can be seen here:

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Finishing Up (Sports)

Got in the shift cable anchorage, installed (made sure I did not strong arm this one) and adjusted shifting.  Shifted perfect the first go around.  My daughter road it around the block and I tightened everything up again.  Was a fun project.  The owner is picking up this weekend.

Made a flag holder for the Royal Scot, used a wooden spool, dowel plug and a o-ring.  Adds a little style, in my opinion!

Well, now I have time to mess around with my 65 Foremost.


Monday, November 5, 2012

Sports Update

Well, got in the shifter parts for the Sports, starting trying to finish it up.  Got it shifting good.  Went through and re-tightened bolts and screws.  When I got to the shifter, I broke the bolt on the cable anchorage!  Ah, should of left it alone!  Will have to order a new  anchorage tomorrow from Harris Cyclery.  Anyway, coming along pretty well!

Shifter Parts


Getting there!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Light Set for Royal Scot

Received my generator light set for my Royal Scot.  It is a vintage reproduction set I got off eBay.  Installation was pretty straight forward.  Got the bottle generator lined up against the sidewall ok.  Hooked up the wires and worked very well.  Had fun riding around the neighborhood!!!  I forgot how much drag the bottle generator puts on the wheel, but I am not in a hurry to get anywhere!

Front light and Generator

Rear Light

Bottle Generator

Friday, November 2, 2012

Sports Update

Chrome pitted on rim of rear wheel

Switching out rim

Rear wheel and chain guard
Well, been making some progress toward finishing the Raleigh Sports.  Installed new brake pads, cables, straightened chain guard mounting brackets.  The rear wheel had some major pitting of the chrome.  I had a spare rim so I swapped out the hub and put in spare rim.  Trued wheel, now looks much better.  Have parts coming from Jon (, steel fulcrum and pulley.  Very nice parts (I have them on the Royal Scot) and makes shifting a little smoother.